Hair reduction laser treatment is a safe, comfortable, and effective approach to minimizing the appearance and visibility of hair. At DermaHealth, we offer a variety of laser treatments to reduce the appearance of unwanted hair, including some of the most advanced FDA-approved laser technologies available to treat all skin types. Treatment time varies considerably depending on the size of the area and the technique used.
DermaHealth owns a wide variety of lasers that focus on hair reduction. The GentleMax Pro laser is our gold standard for laser hair removal. It is able to cover large areas in a short amount of time and features a patented Dynamic Cooling Device™ (DCD™) to bring the client as much comfort as possible. We also offer the following effective hair reduction laser treatments:
- The Prowave™ laser offers long-term hair reduction.
- The CoolGlide Yag laser reduces hair on more sensitive areas of the body.
- The DSL laser treats lighter brown, red, and dark blond hair.
Our wide variety of lasers can treat different colors and types of hair. Therefore, we can develop the most comprehensive plan for your individual hair reduction needs.
How Does Laser Hair Reduction Treatment Work?
Our lasers heat the base of the hair follicle, damaging the follicle so it can no longer grow. The laser targets the pigment in the hair and travels down to the base of the follicle. For this reason, it takes multiple sessions for the treatment to take effect, as the laser will only work on hairs in the anagen (growing) stage.
How Should I Prepare for This Treatment?
Our lasers work by targeting existing hair follicles. Therefore, it is imperative you do not pluck or wax before or during the course of treatment. Trimming or shaving is fine. It is normal to develop some perifollicular edema – small, raised bumps similar to those that occur after shaving – immediately after the treatment. These bumps typically clear within a few hours. You may also see short-lived redness.
How Comfortable Is This Treatment?
Many of our lasers have cooling devices built into them to help minimize discomfort. For those who are more sensitive or those receiving treatment on sensitive areas, DermaHealth can provide a prescription for a topical numbing cream.
Who Are the Best Candidates for Treatment?
DermaHealth’s hair reduction treatments are available for all skin types. Although gray/red hair does not respond well to most lasers, treatments can decrease visibility. Treatment time varies considerably depending on the size of the area and the technique used. White, gray, and light blond hair are more difficult to treat with lasers since the lasers target color discrepancies to identify hair follicles.
What Final Results Can I Expect?
Clients undergoing hair reduction laser treatment can expect to see an 80 to 85 percent reduction in hair – and what hair remains is typically finer and lighter than what was originally present. Normal hair develops in a three-phase cycle: growth, rest, and transition. Since the laser affects only those hairs in the growth phase, several treatments will be needed to effectively reduce 80 to 85 percent of the hair from the area. Typically 3 to 6 treatments, spaced 4 to 12 weeks apart, are necessary to achieve the desired result. Hormones, age, and medications can have an effect on hair growth and results.
What Additional Products Does DermaHealth Offer to Complement the Results of This Treatment?
DermaHealth offers Epionce® skincare products – a physician-strength skincare line created by a clinical dermatologist – to help our clients maintain healthy and beautiful skin. We also offer spray tanning, which is a safe approach to achieving the golden glow of a tan without the harmful effects of UV rays.
The following information will help you achieve the best results from your laser hair reduction treatment. If any questionable or suspicious lesions are noticed during your consultation, we will recommend that you seek medical attention from your family physician or dermatologist.
- Please disclose any and all medical conditions that may be of significance to the laser treatment, including but not limited to: pregnancy, cold sore and fever blister tendencies, any type of allergy, recent facial peels or surgery, or use of any type of medication such as Accutane, hormone replacement therapy, or use of Retin-A.
- Do not use self-tanning lotions or tanning booths two weeks prior to your laser treatment. Do not sunbathe two weeks prior to your appointment. Anyone arriving with a tan or sunburn will be rescheduled due to the sensitivity of the procedure on altered skin color and for your safety.
- Do not shave the area to be treated within 24 hours prior to treatment.
- Do not tweeze or wax throughout the duration of your scheduled treatment plan.
- Avoid caffeine the day of your treatment.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily to keep your skin hydrated.
Please note that the hair will not fall out immediately, but will likely do so within 10 to 14 days of your final treatment session.
- To reduce any redness or inflammation, you may apply a topical cream three to four times per day. A cool compress can be used to soothe the skin after the treatment, if necessary.
- Each client is unique. Therefore, the rate at which hair grows varies from person to person. It is recommended that each scheduled treatment should be set 4 to 12 weeks apart. Your nurse will advise you on your individual treatment schedule.
- Please be advised that you may experience a certain degree of discomfort, redness, and/or irritation during and after the laser treatment. If any discomfort and/or irritation persists, please notify the DermaHealth clinic at 417-447-7777.
For more information and to see if you are a candidate for one of our hair reduction laser treatments, schedule a complimentary consultation with DermaHealth today.